Tips for Tress Toppers Prom calls for an elegant ‘do. Many girls choose to top their tresses off …
How to Choose the Right Necklace
Necklaces are magnificent fashion accessories that when matched with the outfit augments a woman’s personality significantly. They are commonly as well as easily accessible jewelry pieces. Usually, necklaces are not only meant to be the finishing touch to apparel but also believed to carry a sentimental significance for the wearer. Usually, necklaces are often the first jewelry piece given to a child. While typically considered for women, necklaces are available for any age.
Right from a simple silver chain necklace to a strand of pearls wrapped around the neckline, cross necklaces, and best friend necklaces that teens love, there is a necklace design suitable for each one of us. Indeed, several necklaces for women are available with distinct designs and looks, which can suit different women right from a homemaker to a professional.
Apart from that, the choice of necklace also depends on the occasion or purpose for which it needs to be bought. Because necklaces are brought for different occasions and purposes, a well-appointed collection of jewelry tends to include a variety of necklaces, such as a pendant, fashion, diamond necklaces, pearl, gold, rhinestone, designer, and chain designs. However, this diverse collection is the result of the right selection of necklaces.
Choosing the Right Necklace: Overview
Getting the right neckline piece as per the wearer’s preference, neckline, apparel, and the occasion is essential if the aim is of a stylish appearance. Only such a match can enhance the overall look of the wearer. The right necklace accents the neckline of the preferred attire and round off the appearance precisely. Further, the necklace and neckline must not compete with each other.
One must consider a variety of factors while choosing an impressive necklace to match the attire’s neckline. These factors include the necklace type, the chain type, and necklace length. While those chunky and statement necklaces reveal different effects for a variety of social occasions including parties, cross necklaces have religious or spiritual feelings. Similarly, different necklace lengths are available right from short chokers to long operas.
Likewise, the style is also important, along with how where and how it is positioned on the neck. For example, necklines such as polo and crew can have any necklace of any style or length, provided the pattern or color is not lost or does not clash with the attire’s color. Other necklines need a little more thought and are choosier when it is the matter of selecting the right necklace.
Here are the buying factors described in detail so that you can choose the right necklace in no time.
Identifying the Right Necklace Type
The necklace-type varies as per the length or adornment. By length, women’s necklaces are often classified into the following types.
- Collar Necklace (for Babies and Young Girls):
- 5 – 35 cm (12 – 13 in) long
- Stays tight and closest to the neck
- Usually multi-strand
- Ideal for a slender, V-shaped, and boat necks as well as on-off shoulder tops and blouses
- Choker or Bib Necklace (for Young and Teen Girls):
- 35 – 41 cm (14 – 16 in) long
- Sitting high on the neck
- Single or multi-strand
- Ideal for the neck of petite women
- Princess Necklace (For Teens and Adults):
- 45 – 50 cm (18 – 20 in) long
- Very popular
- Ideal for various necklines but better to wear it higher or lower than the neckline
- Common with a pendant or charm hanging just beneath the collarbone
- Matinee Necklace (For Adults):
- 56 – 58 cm (22 – 23 in) long
- Usually, a single strand lying atop the cleavage
- Ideal for a workplace and with collared shirts, V-neck shirts, and blouses (business and casual wear)
- Opera Necklace (For Adults):
- 75 – 90 cm (30 – 35 in) long
- Rests at the breastbone
- Ideal with elegant gowns and formal blouses
- Rope Necklace (For Adults):
- 35 – 45 in long
- Worn in different ways to make knots in front or several loops around the neck
- Ideal for special occasions like weddings and anniversaries
- Lariat Necklace (For Adults):
- Usually, a very long rope variation, without a clasp and often draped several times around the neck
- Ends might be looped, crossed over, or knotted in different ways
Tip: Before purchasing a necklace, it is wise to measure the length by applying a measuring tape to the neck and holding the ends together at the place where the necklace needs to sit.
However, the tip is also dependent on how the material or adornment falls. For example, a pendant on the chain might hang in a heart shape or a V shape, while wired beads never dangle at all. Necklaces are made up of different materials such as pearl beads, wood, silver, gold, platinum, sterling silver, gemstones, and other precious stones or metals. Many of them can hold a blend of metals and semi-precious stones, synthetic accents, and polished shells. Considering these materials in mind, women’s necklaces are often classified into the following types.
- Available in different sizes, materials, and designs such as chunky
- Has chain
- Available in different materials, lengths, and styles such as twist, box, cable, herringbone, and rope
- Graduated Strand:
- Available with beads, pearls, or other materials for increasing the size slowly until the focal point is reached
- Available with single or multiple strands
- Multiple Strand:
- Available with more than one strand
- Strands in a symmetrical manner or entwined
- Available in different lengths, sizes, and colors
- Features jumbo beads in metal, glass, or wood
- Bold and funky
- Increased flair to dress
- Designed to make a statement
- Special clips for adjusting the length
- Most versatile
By adornment, you can have several types: Cross necklaces (with a cross as a pendant), charm necklaces, diamond necklaces, pearl necklaces, name necklaces, monogram necklaces, gold necklaces, sterling silver necklaces, and prayer bead necklaces (wide lasso and religious symbol).
The materials used for necklaces as well as pendants differ greatly. As per the type, design, and style of the pendant and necklace, the metal can be anything from base metal and silver to platinum and brass. If on a budget, white gold necklaces are more expensive than costume jewelry designed to look as fine pieces but made of brass, copper, and nickel and often have gold or silver plating or filling. The filling is longer lasting than plating and does not carry the risk of tarnishing although the color loses eventually. In the case of plating, the underlying metal mixes with gold to make it lose its color or tarnish.
Similarly, even the metals for necklaces and pendants tend to vary. In the case of fine jewelry, the metal is usually gold, sterling silver, or platinum. While a casual look is more adorned with costume jewelry, fine jewelry is better for formal occasions. For silver necklaces, consider a ‘925’ hallmark that indicates a maximum amount of pure silver. Because silver is soft, it is mixed with other metals to avert tarnishing and ensure strengthening.
In the case of gold, you will come across various colors and carats (purity level). While 24-carat is the purest form, 18-carat indicates 75% purity and 10-carats depicts 41.7% pure gold. The color can be rose, yellow, or white and is always blended with other metals.
If you choose platinum, keep in mind that this rare metal is quite costly across the globe. The hallmarks for this metal are 999, 950, 900, and 850, of which 999 is the best with 99.9% purity.
Identifying the Right Chain Type
If you are choosing from gold or silver chain necklaces that are very common, you are most likely to come across different types of chains. This is irrespective of whether the piece is gold-filled, plated, or silver-plated.
- Box: Features square links to form a smooth bond; thinner versions with pendants popular for women’s jewelry
- Snake: Features tightly connected rings forming a rounded, heavy but bendable build and giving the look of a flexible tube with the snakeskin texture; narrow and delicate; ideal for pendants.
- Rolo: Features round links in a classic look
- Wheat: Features a blend of oval and twisted oval links
- Rope: Features strands of intertwined gold resembling a real rope; delicate versions for pendant necklaces and heavier ones with the chain being the major appealing part; tighter braid means more metal and more value
With the Possessed Neckline
- Turtle Neck: Longer necklaces
- Crew Neck: Short lengths such as Bib necklaces and Choker necklaces
- Scoop Neck: Multiple strands of beads or pendants with larger scale, any length but not those resting on the neckline or having hanging pendants; pearl or chunky necklaces; fine chains
- Polo: Bold and chunky necklaces, a long string of beads
- Strapless: Chokers or short pendants; round shaped necklaces; single strand necklaces
- Square Neck: Pendants with an angular finish
- Asymmetric Neckline: Symmetrical necklaces or necklaces with a long string of beads of different sizes and shapes
- Halter Neck (Narrow V Neck): Narrow pendant with an end that is sharp; single or multiple strands lying above the cleavage
- Round Neckline: Short necklace or choker for a low neckline, long necklace with a strand of beads for a high neckline
- V Neck: Necklace matching the shape, princess necklace with pendant
- Collared Shirt (Button Down): Choker necklaces for a long neck
- Boat Neck: One or two long string of beads, statement necklaces, matinee necklaces
- Cowl Neck: Short and dainty necklaces with pendants
- Sweetheart: Curled necklaces, chunky necklaces, pendant with a chain style
Necklace Terms and a Look at Different Types of Necklaces
Most necklaces measure one of several standard lengths, but you’ll find there’s a huge variation of styles within each length category. If your overall build is larger or smaller than what’s considered average, necklaces will fit you differently. Let the lengths of necklaces you already guide you to new favorites, or go shopping and try on necklaces of different lengths before you order a necklace sight-unseen.
Many necklaces have extra links of some kind at one end so that the clasp on the other end can attach in different places to adjust the length. The decorative chains that are often used for ends are attractive when they dangle at the back of your neck. Adjustable necklaces are the good choice when you’re giving a gift and aren’t sure which length to buy.
A clasp can add 3/4″ or more to length. When you’re shopping online read descriptions carefully to find out if clasp lengths are included in the overall length given for each necklace.
Our Top 10 Necklaces
Here is our pick of top 10 necklaces along with their reviews.
- 14K Gold White Freshwater Cultured Pearl Necklace: Symmetrical design and pearls, making the necklace ideal for any occasion, including casual and themed party
- HinsonGayle “Sienna” 4-Strand Handwoven Freshwater Cultured Pearl and Turquoise Necklace: Versatile to fit any neckline and those wearing party clothes
- Fun Daisy New Design Jewelry Vintage Grand Choker Rhinestones Fashion Necklace: vintage design that matches with any modern clothing or jewelry
- Qiyun (TM) Tibet Silver Bib Statement Choker Chunky Tribal Rhinestone Necklace: Tribal design matching with most light and dark shades of attire
- Sterling Silver Celtic Cross Pendant Necklace: Authentically designed with a touch of the Celtic era, for spiritual or religious events
- Sterling Silver and 14k Gold Cross Pendant Necklace with Gemstone: Modernly designed for spiritual or religious events
- Sterling Silver Swiss and London Blue Topaz Butterfly Pendant Necklace: Fashion necklace to go on almost any kind of clothing
- Sterling Silver “Loving Family” Parents with Three Children Pendant Necklace: A meaningful and sentimental gift to a family member; not just to mother or child but to the entire family
- Sterling Silver and Rose Gold-Flashed Family Tree Two-Tone Pendant Necklace: a Versatile combination of silver and rose gold for matching with gold or silver accessories for family occasions
- Sterling Silver “A Journey Is Best Measure By Friends Not Miles” Yellow Gold Circle Pendant Necklace: Best friend necklace with a golden touch
After going through the aforementioned factors including the neckline type, we hope that you now have gained more confidence in selecting the right necklace. In fact, we think that you have already come across the necklace of your choice, isn’t it?
If not, click here for reviews of other necklaces to make an instant choice now!
Every time you look for necklaces, consider it as a new opportunity to look for a new style!
Wherever you look these days, some of the most exciting costume jewelry sported by women are necklaces. Exquisite design and the use of unexpected materials combine to make this jewelry unique in the market. Whether your choice is a simple sterling silver pendant or a half-dozen intricately woven and decorated pieces of various lengths entwined around your neck, the results are inevitably breathtaking.
Seeds and wood bark may be combined with amber and turquoise in one brilliant necklace while Jade, Jasper, and pearls might be strewn along a chain of polished sterling silver in another.
Every necklace evokes a sensory delight. Natural elements like coral and coconut shells give the wearer a sense of oneness with earth and sea, while shimmering silver, pearls, and chalcedony might combine in an unpredictable symmetry that draws the eye and demands attention. The inspiration for the intricate designs may come from anything from a flower to a skyscraper, while each piece is executed with care, close attention to detail and a drive for perfection.
The fact is, regardless of where you find them, necklaces are nothing short of magical in the way they can transform both an outfit and the mood of their wearer. The instant a woman slips one of these masterpieces around her neck, she achieves an aura of confidence that turns heads wherever she goes. There are colors and textures to complement everything in her wardrobe so that the plainest outfit becomes runway-worthy and the severest office suit turns into evening wear with the simple addition of a handful of necklaces for women as worn by the smartest, most style-conscious women.
Where To Buy Prom Jewelry There’s an art to picking the perfect prom necklace. Just because you …
Children's Lockets | Find a locket for a child Children love to wear and display their special …
Selecting a Tahitian Pearl Necklace If you are interested in purchasing a Tahitian pearl necklace, …
Pearl origins A pearl is one of the only gems to come from a living organism, making them very …
Large South Sea Pearls Grow Inside a White Lipped Oyster South Sea pearls grow inside a large …
Fall is nearly upon us, and with the change of seasons comes a whole new color palette filled with …
As you spend time exploring the world of pearl necklaces, and other jewelry, you will find there are …
Collecting Heart Lockets And Other Heart Jewelry When you think of “collecting” as a hobby or …
Colorful Peacock Necklace Are you looking for a fashion necklace that should not only vibrantly …
Monogram Initial Necklace An initial necklace in the form of a monogram design is perhaps the best …
Large Pendants are Important - Types of pendants All individuals express themselves in different …
Making jewelry pieces using pure silver is not feasible, because pure silver is not hard and sturdy …
Amber Necklace Jewelry Over the ages, Amber has been categorized as one of the precious stones …
Long Necklaces | Accessorizing Made Easy For many women, accessorizing can feel like an extra …